Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Water Garden Completed

I've wanted to create a water feature in our back patio for awhile now (see this post for ideas), but figured it would cost too much, take too long, etc., etc., etc. Awhile back I spotted this great old galvanized bucket in Doc's dad's barn. He agreed to let me take it home and it gave me the "umph" I needed to complete the project.

The only thing I had to buy was a water pump - I got a small PondWorks pump at Montgomery Hardware in Fondren for about $27. Basically, you just put it in water, plug it in and voilà! You've got yourself a fountain.

The pump:


A galvanized bucket:


Everything I've read said to make sure your base is even. That was really impossible to do in this bed with all the roots. It would be impossible to do even if roots weren't an issue because of our Yazoo clay that makes everything shift constantly, so I just didn't worry about that. So far (36 hours in) that hasn't been a problem.

Playing around with the location:


As you can see here, I just stuck the fountain on top of an upside down terra-cotta  pot and arranged a hanging basket and birdbath around it to create varying heights so it's more aesthetically pleasing.


I ended up having to move the asparagus fern into sitting in the bird bath because it was too heavy for my plant hanger (obviously not the real cast iron it looks like!). I put Wondering Jew in a smaller basket from the plant hanger.

Inside the water bucket I braced the terra-cotta pot in place with brinks and then used pieces of bricks to hide the fountain base. The water from the fountain is shooting up and flowing into a small terra-cotta pot with holes in (donated to the project by my neighbor Pippa) and filled with small green rocks, also from Pippa.

The tall plant in the back is a crotan that I bought a few weeks ago. I'm going to add some dwarf water lilies as soon as I can find some. The green sticks in the water are papyrus plant - it will eventually look like a feather duster on top (I rooted this from my bigger papyrus plant that Net rooted from her plant that came from Aunt Renie).


You can't really see them, but there are two koi fish in the water - they're now in need of names so if you have any suggestions, please leave them in the comment section below!

Overall, I think it took me about two hours to complete the project once I'd gathered all the materials. The main things you need are the water container and pump. After that, it's kinda fun to see what you have on hand that will make do.

2 comments:

Jennifer Eastland said...

Love it!
Awe, we miss Pippa and Charles - please tell them "hello" from the Eastlands :)
For the fish, "belle" and "haven"!!

Kara Givens Paulk said...

GREAT idea! I love it:) I'll tell them hello!