Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Running in Memphis

Becca and Bryan having been doing Couch to 5k for the last couple of months and have really embraced this whole running-is-fun concept. Since we were spending Sunday night with them over the weekend, I thought it would be fun to join them for the Chick-fil-a 5k run on Monday morning in downtown Memphis.

Now I've run exactly three times in the last three weeks - once with Laura and Thomas and twice on my own. I've done better about doing a yoga dvd most mornings and DeeDee and I walk about twice a week. We sometimes incorporate short spurts of running but its been extremely hot. And we don't want to be too exhausted to enjoy our wine afterwards. So, in summary, I entered the race in so-so shape.

Here's Bec and me before the run:


So happy, so naive. So not remembering that 3.1 miles is a really long way. I kept telling myself before that it would be easier than running in Belhaven because Memphis is pretty flat. I will now revise my mental pep talk to just focus on the catching the sights of Memphis like the Mighty Mississippi River.


Doc asked me to marry him seven years ago this month (Sept. 28th!) at that little tiny knoll in Tom Lee Park off Riverside drive just west of downtown Memphis. When we pulled into the parking lot at sunset I made some snotty comment about getting robbed. Then I immediately felt horrible for being such a brat just a few minutes before when he was rushing me to hurry up in Pier 1. I remember talking to my mom before we left Oxford and finding it weird that she wanted to know what I was wearing for our date that night. Now I know.


I bet there is usually not this many sober people on Beale Street so early in the morning. See the little girl in pink? She was my nemesis. I kept trying to pass her and every time I looked up she was somehow ahead of me again. I paced myself by following the dad and son team right in front of me. I heard the dad say in the beginning that at their pace, they'd finish in 34 minutes. Sounded good enough to me. 

This is how I made it through those 3.1 miles - making up stories (mostly in my head) about the people around me and eavesdropping on their conversations. And then picking out a child or senior citizen to try and pass.

Overall, it was lots of fun and am so glad Becca encouraged me to do it! Becca (#21 out of 163 in our age group) and Bryan did great finishing at just over 26 and 27 minutes. I finished at 33:52 (#70). Bryan's dad ran too and he finished around 36 minutes. You can see the full race results here: http://www.racesonline.com/uploads/result/Final%20Posting%20Overall%201.pdf.

2 comments:

Becca said...

You forgot to mention our friends at the yoga studio! Thanks to them for leaving their studio unlocked so we could relieve ourselves pre-race. Or, maybe we were breaking and entering. Oh well! We had a great time, glad you could join us. You did great.

Kara Givens Paulk said...

Yes! I meant to add that:)