Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Movie Review: I Don't Know How She Does It

DeeDee and I went to see "I Don't Know How She Does It" this past weekend and it's a must-see, hands down. Without giving too much away, the basic story is that Kate (played by Sarah Jessica Parker) becomes overloaded trying to "do it all" with a career she loves and a family she loves more and must make some critical life-changing decisions.

I think the question of stay-at-home mom vs. working mom is something that all women think about. For several of my friends, staying at home has been wonderful and they've loved it. For some of them, it has been right above torture but they feel like it's the best option for their family. For others, working is the only option and they seem to find a happy balance between big job and family time. Some, having part-time gigs that get them out of the house but also allow them to be mom during the day is the perfect compromise.

I highly recommend the movie! Here's the trailer:


Some other food for thought:

My journalism professor at Ole Miss,Curtis Wilkie (author of "The Fall of the House of Zeus"), had us read this essay called, "Housewife Confidential: A tribute to the old-fashioned housewife, and to Erma Bombeck, her champion and guide" by Caitlin Flanagan.

I passed it on to Mom and Net and it was interesting to hear them discuss this from the point of a working mom from the 1980s and 90s and from a 1950s and 60s housewife.

You can find it here: http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/2003/09/flanagan.htm

Let me know what you think (especially you, Ashley!).

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh gosh. I need to see this. Being theater at home type, I had no idea a movie like this was out! I don't feel at liberty to comment on work VS stay home b/c I've not done both. Staying home isn't easy, but I can imagine working has it's own set of difficulties. I would imagine some kind of balance would be the "right" answer... But... Children and husbands are very needy. I think everyone finds that no matter how much they dedicate themselves to the family, it's more than they have available to give. My only thought is to give all you have to your chosen (whether self-chosen or circumstance-chosen) responsibilities and let God's grace cover the rest.

Ashley said...

The *stay at home mom type* not theater