Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 Reflections

This passage was in our church bulletin this morning, and it was worded so beautifully I thought it was worth sharing on here:

Reflections on National Providence
     Ten years ago this week our nation experienced a colossal terrorist attack, unprecedented in our nation's history. In our bulletin that week we saw a reminder that "this is a time to remember that we serve a great and awesome God. He is terrible as an army with banners." We are mindful today, as we think of the many changes over the last ten years and of the many things that are still the same in the wake of that tragedy that God is no different today than He was then, or was 2000 years ago when He sent His own Son to make atonement for the sins of His people. God is sovereign in ordaining everything which comes to pass, and He is sovereign in His provision for the redemption of His elect. This should be a great comfort to us no matter what trial, tragedy or difficulty we face.
     Additionally, as we've read in Hebrews in the last few weeks and will read next week, we have an encouragement in that we have no continuing country here, but seek the city that is to come. We are strangers and exiles on the earth, and we desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. As we see tragedies unfold because we have a God who is King over all. In Christ we have an assurance of things hoped for and a conviction of things more wonderful than we can imagine.


Ten years ago today, I was a senior at Senatobia High School working on the school newspaper with a classmate. She was IMing with her mother (who worked at the elementary school) and her mom messaged that a bomb exploded in Washington, D.C. A few minutes later the Channel 1 TV was turned on and we watched the coverage in New York and then saw a plane hit the second tower. I remember being in Mrs. Young's room at this point, and she and Mrs. Abney were crying. They both had sons who were freshmen in college.

I think at that point it was not possible for me to realize the enormity of the situation. Would this mean war like after Pearl Harbor? Was this for us what Pearl Harbor was for our grandparents? I remember hoping, so selfishly, that we'd be let out of school by break time. We weren't, but the football game on Friday was cancelled. And a road at Lake Sardis was shut down (it reopened over five years later) in case the terrorists decided to wipe out Mississippi by blowing up the dam.

Two weeks later, Doc and I met at a dance after a football game and we've been dancing ever since. We talked a lot in those first few months about war, and if there was a draft what would happen. In a way, the tradegies of 9/11 probably put the world in a different viewpoint for both us, and we realized we didn't want to face it without one another.

I went to Ole Miss, pledged Tri Delt and decided to major in journalism. I wrote a health column and news stories for the Daily Mississippian. Doc started college and two years later began into pharmacy school.

We got married the week after I graduated. I started my first job reporting for the New Albany Gazette. I cried a lot and soon got a new job at Oxford-University United Methodist Church (where I laughed a lot). Doc finished pharmacy school and we moved to Jackson. He finished pharmacy school, worked for CVS and got into medical school.

I began working for Millsaps College and started working on my master's degree at night. Somewhere in those years we got two great dogs and made some of the most wonderful lifelong friends a person can hope for. Sis and Thomas both got married. We've had two nieces and one nephew born and buried four grandparents. We've been on wonderful vacations and experienced terrible heartbreak.

But, looking at such a brief run-down of my life in the last decade, I don't see any decision that was shaped because we were at war. My husband, or brother, or cousin, haven't been drafted. I haven't used rations to buy groceries or sold war bonds. I haven't built a Victory Garden. I had the yellow "Support Our Troops" ribbon sticker on my car for the years following the start of the war, but it didn't transfer over when I got a new car. In a way I feel guilty, because so many families have endured so much suffering. I'm so thankful for the men and women who willingly choose to fight for our country. I'm also so glad I know I'm in the hands of a heavenly Father who is so much bigger than any terrorist could imagine.

1 comment:

Signy said...

So sweet and reflective.