Thursday, August 4, 2011

Time and Tide


Ashley has this sign from her grandmother hanging in her laundry room. It really is a good thing to keep in mind and try to put into practice. Ashley was the first friend I made when we moved to Jackson four years ago. We were unloading the U-haul (in the rain) and in a hurry because we had piano movers coming to move the piano that was in the back of the truck in less than an hour. Ashley and Melissa were walking and stopped to offer help. Ashley's exact words were, "Well, we can't really help ya'll but our husbands can!" We had a dinner date the next night at Sal & Mookie's.

We've been friends ever since. Melissa invited me to a neighborhood Bible Study and I've made some wonderful friendships in that group. No one ever tells you the hardest part about marriage (at least for me) is moving away from your family! But friendships help and are so vital to making a place feel like home.

A few months later we were talking about potential baby names for her second child. We started talking about family and maiden names and she said she could never use the name "Fincher" for a baby. Hold the phone! She was a Fincher from southeast Arkansas?!

Mama Jean's maiden name is Fincher and she's from the same area. Turns out our grandparents (her grandfather and MJ) remember meeting at a high school dance. Their friends introduced them because their fathers and brothers had the exact same name! We set up a phone date for them and her grandfather SANG the song they danced to 60+ years ago. Papa Carrel didn't have too much to say. Turns out we all go back to some Fincher who had like 18 kids in the 1800s.

Anyway, all that to say that I really love and appreciate my Jackson friends!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Yaaaaay! I'm so glad you wrote this down. I miss my kara! We were kindred spirits!

Kara Givens Paulk said...

Were? Am I dead? ARE:)

Nonni's Blog said...

Kara:

I'm so proud of you for writing this blog. It is great. I started one when I retired last year, but haven't kept it going. Maybe you will inspire me.