Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Major the Millsaps Office Fish

I'm in the process of re-organizing/decorating my office. I've been in my "new" office space since January and it's taken me a couple of months to figure out what to do. I'll share pictures soon, but until then, meet Major the Office Fish.


Isn't he pretty? Yes, we are the Millsaps Majors, and no, I couldn't come up with a better name. But he is a pretty close match to our official PMS 273 so at least he meets our graphic standards!

Millsaps has a long history of campus pets - there are the Mill Cats behind Murrah Hall and past presidents are remembered warmly for their dogs (including the Graves family's beagles who followed the family to Sunday lunch in the Caf). My favorite story, though, is of Joe - a stray bulldog that lived on campus in the 1910s & 20s.

Apparently, he was Millaps' unofficial mascot as retriever for the ball team. During WWI enlisted men were stationed at Millsaps for training and Joe quickly became a favorite with the soldiers. The College sent Joe the soldiers' mascot to Camp Livingston and then to Camp Beauregard. There, sadly, he was accidentally shot during a target practice. Lula Gaulding Waktins, wife of the Millsaps president at the time, wrote that Joe was mourned by all on campus and that the soldiers buried him with full military honors -- "salute, reveille, and all."

If anyone out there has a picture of Joe, please let me know! As far as I can tell, there isn't one in the Millsaps Archives!

No comments: