Monday, August 1, 2011

Granddaddy's Scrapbook

I mentioned this in a post last week, but the last time we were staying at Net's house, I went through a trunk that belonged to Granddaddy's grandmother. She was one of eight sisters and two brothers. They grew up in a beautiful home that stood where the Senatobia Library/Gabbert Park is now. Granddaddy's mother, Kathleen, and her husband, Otho, Sr., eventually lived in the house for a number of years and my grandfather spent most of his childhood there.

Anyway, in the trunk was a scrapbook dedicated to Otho, Jr., on October 30, 1930 when he was 21 months old. I found it really cute how he was called "Otho Jr." To me, he was always "Ofo" or "Granddaddy" or "Daddy" to my dad and Uncle B.

If anyone has any ideas on how to preserve the pages, please leave a comment!



Birthday cards or gift tags from his first cousins - Kathleen Wooten (aka Ms Kitty Wait) and Eone Veazey (Eone Caldwell) - and friends.

Net says that people used to make scrapbooks out of wallpaper books. I believe this one is made from a clothing catalogue. The pictures and poems were cut out of magazines and pasted on. Many were advertisments for telephones, Hoover kitchens, Graham Crackers, etc.


An early Swifter, maybe? I bet Doc wishes I cleaned house in heels and a nice dress. Or that I cleaned house!


A Hoover Kitchen. I really want one of these for my kitchen.


I guess this is the 1930s version of Facebook. At the top is says, "Happenings Among Our Youngest Folks."




A birthday party invite for N.R. Sledge, Jr. - they were lifelong friends.




There were lots of post cards from his parents from their travels for work and pleasure.


I love the last lines, "Take good care of all the folks and be good children. Kiss Lucile for me." I doubt the post office would deliver something today with just a name and town!

1 comment:

Anna said...

This is beautiful! What a treasure! I hope you can find a way to preserve it.