Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Galatoire's and "No Place"

In Eudora Welty's “No Place for You, My Love” she tells the story of a journey taken by two strangers - a man from Syracuse and a woman from Toledo - who meet in New Orleans at Galatoire's over lunch. They are both in unhappy relationships and take a drive "south of South" to Venice, Louisiana. I love the way she describes the drive south:

More and more crayfish and other shell creatures littered their path, scuttling or dragging. These little samples, little jokes of creation, persisted and sometimes perished, the more of them the deeper down the road went. Terrapins and turtles came up steadily over the horizons of the ditches. Back there in the margins were worse – crawling hides you could not penetrate with bullets or quite believe, grins that had come down from the primeval mud.

I'm not sure what the two characters in the story ate for lunch, but I'd be willing to bet they sampled Galatoire's Remoualde sauce. Laura gave me this recipe a few weeks ago and I pre-made some for our beach trip for an easy lunch with fresh shrimp. You can find the recipe here.

No comments: