Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Confessions

Well, I wasn't going to post this story to blogland because, well you'll see in a second, but Sis told me I should, so you thank her. Or blame her. It all began a few weeks ago when Borders first declared they were going bankrupt and closing all their stores. The good-deal alert light in my head went off and I immediately went out to the Dogwood store to browse. That day, I believe I bought two or three books for the beach for about 30% off.

The next week, all the furniture and fixings were also on sale. We bought Doc a desk chair for $35, some supplies from the coffee bar area (including a whipped cream dispenser thingy for $15) and signed up to be on the list to buy a laptop when they completely close down the store.

During the initial visit, my usually highly ethical self may have left itself in the car. Just a little. In the cookbook section I saw a copy of "Master the Art of French Cooking" volumes I and II by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle and Simone Beck for $90. But even at 30% off it was still more than my pocketbook could handle. So, I did what any responsible, resorceful, thrify-minded person would do. I hid it. And I hid it really well - in the psychology section among some books that were about discovering the tranlucent power of sex.

And then I went back every couple of days and tidied up the section to make sure it was still there. When it went down to 60% off (and all the copies in the cookbook section were gone), I went ahead and bought it. And I love it!

Guess where? I'll never tell...


I've almost perfected the L'Omelette Roulee! It was so worth it...Thomas told me this sounds like something mom would do...I'm taking that as a compliment:)

5 comments:

annabclark said...

I love this. It sounds like something I would do. (or might have done already:)

Kara Givens Paulk said...

Thanks Anna! How can I see your blog? I think it's private? Hope you and your sweet family and doing well!

Crady said...

You should've hid two!! I want a copy so badly, buy as you said, they're way too expensive!!

P.S. Glad Julia made you tell! Great story!

Signy said...

What exactly did Thomas mean by that??? I think it sounds 100% KARA!!!

Kara Givens Paulk said...

Mom, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree:)