Thursday, November 25, 2010

'Twas the Night Before Duck Season

I belong to a club. It's not exclusive, and includes all kind of women--old, young, stay-at-home moms and professional gals. Some, like me, are happy to be a part of this group. For others, it's not something they look forward to--they dread it and hate it and talk so bad about it. The club? We laughingly refer to ourselves as The Duck Hunting Widows.

Doc, looks so forward to the opening of duck season every year. He gets so excited that it's hard to not be excited for him being excited. It starts with the opening of dove season on Labor Day. This though, is just practice in his eyes for what's coming up in the next few months--the ducks. Then with every cold snap, we know it's getting closer and closer. He starts watching the sky, looking for signs of movement from the North. Fortunetly, the state of Mississippi has moved the opening day from Thanksgiving to the day after Thanksgiving. One of the major themes of our pre-marriage counseling was the preacher just didn't understand why I'd want to get marrried in December when I knew Doc was a huge duck hunter???

Doc and Bryan dove hunting last Labor Day. They're thinking: Oh, the birds I can kill. The limit? What limit? I've got them hidden well....
Dad on Christmas morning in the facemask Doc picked out for him. He wore it most of the day.

Once when Sis and I were little, we got really into Bambi and begged him not to leave with his "firestick"...he told my mom to quit letting us watch that movie.
My happy hunters: Dad, Thomas and Doc. Dad's grandmother, Mammy, used to tell my mom that, "There's a lot worse things a man could be doing." I try to remember that when I get frustated at spending weekends alone...

'Twas the Night Before Duck Season

'Twas the night before duck season, and inside our house,
I was laid up in bed, listening to my spouse.
The camo displayed, the duck calls nearby;
I just shook my head and kept pondering, "Why?"

The season is long, I'd better prepare.
Sixty days of washing his long underwear.
Shotgun and shells gleaming, ready to fire;
At least he's prepared, it's down to the wire.

The puppies were nestled, all snug in their beds,
while visions of ducks flew about in their heads.
I in my robe and Doc in his boots,
he explained that it isn't that loud when he shoots.

Then out on the lawn, there arose such a clatter;
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
I flipped on the lights and what did I see?
A whole group of boys, just waiting to play with their toys. 

Giddy and happy and delighted were they;
Oh the ducks they would call! Tomorrow's the day!
Swapping high fives and loading the truck,
they dreamed of shooting their limits with luck.

Tomorrow at 4:00, I'll arise with my man,
to feed him some breakfast and tell him my plan.
"While you're away, some shopping I might do.
All for me and NONE for you!"
--Adapted from one of Sis' friends in Memphis: http://confessionsoftheyoungandmarried.blogspot.com/
(FYI: I do not get up at 4 a.m. to cook breakfast!!)



No comments: