Monday, November 22, 2010

My Grown-up Christmas List

Christmas is such a wonderful time of year. Beginning with Advent next Sunday through Epiphany on January 6 it's a time to remember the birth of our Savior. It's a time to renew mind, body and soul. And to boot, there are parties, special songs, great church services and presents. I can honestly say that at this point in life, giving a great gift is just as much fun, or more fun, than receiving one.

Great gift-giving is hardwork. It takes thought, time and energy. And planning. Lots of planning. These are just a few of my favorite things, both for me and people I love. A few weeks ago, I sent a modified version of this list to Doc & Oliver--Sis and I usually do this since we have many of the same tastes and my favorite gifts usually come from this. Last year, she got a little put-out because Doc bought most of what she sent and O bought very little off her list. Neither of them seemed to appreciate the time I spent making part of this year's e-mail rhyme to the tune of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." Doc has admitted to not reading it yet. But that's okay, I know he monitors my blog to read what I say about him...and make sure I don't post pictures of his current 'stache!

For you (or me):

iPhone Smartcase. This was featured in Real Simple awhile back and I've had it saved in my favorites folder on my work computer...I'm sure a Christmas wish list was what Internet Explores creators were hoping that function would be used for...



Enamel Lodge Dutch Oven. According to my favorite Jackson chef Tom Ramsey, Lodge dutch ovens are the very best bang-for-you-buck. I've heard that you can by the slightly damaged ones from the factory store in Chattanooga but I've not been there (yet).






The Nook. My mom gota Kindle last year for Christmas and I didn't realize how much I wanted one unitl I borrowed her's this summer. I went with a Nook over a Kindle because there's a Barnes & Noble store here and I like the idea of being able to take it in for service.

I think this just speaks for itself...I did see it at Sam's the other day...the Sam's card is in my wallet (top left side).










1st edition of Mark Twain's autobiography that will be released 100 years after his death. Even if I get a Nook I want this one in hardback...yes I'm a bookworm...


by Kristin van Ogtrop, editor of "Real Simple," magazine. Her blog "Adventures in Chaos" is one of my favorite things to read. 










Wubbanub--These cute little pacies have stuffed animals on the end of them.
Note: When Sis first told me about these, I missunderstood her and thought she said "Luvanub." Do NOT Google that and hit images...I think the IT department at Millsaps may have flagged my computer.


For those who "have it all" or just to do something a little different, consider donating to a charity...




ARF (where Scout came from!): http://www.arfms.com/

Doctors Without Borders: http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/



No comments: