Saturday, October 9, 2010

Millsaps Inauguration

This was a big week for Millsaps College--we officially inaugurated our new president Dr. Rob W. Pearigen. The big shin-dig was Thursday morning in The Bowl on a perfect, beautiful October morning. The day before there was a Civil Right Roundtable featuring some great speakers: Gov. William Winter, author Jon Meacham, investigative reporter Jerry Mitchell, interim JSU president Leslie McLemore, and Millsaps alum Jeanne Luckett. It was moderated by Suzanna Marrs, Eudora Welty's biographer and one of my favorite professors at Millsaps. The Clarion Ledger did a great story that was on Friday's metro page and an online photo album.

This is me trying to look cool. I'm trying to ask Jon Meacham, one of my all-time favorite authors, if I can grap him for a quick interview for the local TV station. I got him to sign my American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House book.

Gov. William Winter being interviewed by WLBT. Here's the clip.

For some reason our academia ceremonies remind me of Harry Potter. Don't they walk around in robes like this at Hogwarts? If anyone could figure out how to make sticks fly, these professors would be the ones.

No comments: