Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Help is in Fondren

The Help is being filmed in Fondren this week and all of Jackson is really excited. The author, Kathryn Stockett, is from Jackson and I met her when she spoke at Millsaps last spring. The book was very entertaining and nailed Jackson people on the head.


This is our cleaners--the sign is alwasy there but the cars usually are not quite so old and shiny.

Emma Stone is playing Skeeter...I'm not really sure who she is but everyone watching was ohhh and awwwing.

Until about a week ago this building was bright purple--it's home to Butterfly Yoga

This is the old Capri theatre it closed in the 80s...

Love the cop car

Extras walking across the street

Brent's is one of my favorite places to go for lunch. The pharmacy part closed last year (boo CVS) but the soda fountain part is still open. The grocery mural on the side is new...

The whole thing had the feeling of a big party. It reminded me of when The People vs. Larry Flynt was filmed in Senatobia in 1995. It's set in the 1970s and they used the courthouse and the buildings right across the street. My dad's mustang was in the movie and the movie crew requested that they borrow the future from his office. Granddaddy said yes but Net said no--and I think was very insulted that they thought it was dated!

Overall, I really liked The Help. Most of it is set in Belhaven--our neighborhood so it fascinating to read about Myrtle Street and the Jitney (now McDades). I think some of it was pre-1960s as far as the lifestyle and attitudes (this according to my grandmother). In a nutshell, the book is about black women raising white children in Jackson in 1962 and follows the story of a white girl (just home from Ole Miss sans husband) and one of her friend's black maid, Aibileen. Skeeter convinces Aibileen and her friends to let her write their stories (both good and bad) about their experiences with white families. I really enjoyed discussing it with a black friend at work--it was neat to hear each other's perspectives. She had never heard of getting your MRS degree. I knew a girl at Ole Miss whose mother insisted she major in accounting just so she'd meet "good" husband. I learned about CP time...and that her mom and I use the same kind of cocoa butter.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

You got great pics! What is CP time??