Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Friends

Doc and I have often talked about how grateful we are for the number of good couple friends we have. As anyone knows, couple friends are hard to find--the fact that four individual people have to all like each other is a challenge.

The very first "couple" friend we made as a "couple" are Chad and Kristen. Our joke is that we'll always have to live in the same town. They bought the house next door to Doc's the summer they married. Kristen, hell bent on making friends with the neighbor (even if there was a coin operated 70's washer and dryer on the carport and the guy only seemed to have army surplus pants with holes) invited Doc over to eat before they had even unpacked. I was at home with my parents and he called me shocked that the new neighbor had come over, talked for an hour, and then insisted he come over for a steak.

Fast forward two years and Kristen (who's determined we need to hurry up and get married like they are) has picked out an engagement ring for me and ordered it from her friend in Atlanta. Two days before we were planning a big dinner in Memphis to celebrate our meeting anniversary she caught me out in the yard and said, very seriously: "Now don't get mad but your ring came in and it was terribly ugly and so I had Ryan send it back...don't expect it before New Year's." She loved me enough to lie and I was so surprised!

Five years later we are all now living in the Jackson area and they've invited us to every family dinner, birthday party, boat outing and soccer game. Witt is 4 and Katelyn is almost 2. They are so adorable and just miniture versions of their parents. This weekend Witt and Ryan went to see How to Feed Your Dragon and loved it. Witt thinks Ryan is the coolest person in the world even though I keep bribing him with candy. Sugar whistles shaped like blue bunnies apparently don't hold a candle to mud tires. Katelyn is probably the smartest and most helpful toddler there has ever been. She told me when she was hungry, what she wanted (hotdog not mac & cheese), where her pjs were, and where to find a diaper all with one word answers.

On the way home we talked about how what great friends they are and how much they've done for us! Our wedding would have been a complete disaster without Kristen's wedding planning skills (even though I told her I didn't need a wedding planner)! Everytime I watch our wedding video I see her in the background telling someone what to do and I say a silent "thank you!"

No comments: